Friday, January 23, 2015

Synchronicity

"Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most." ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky
"In order to catch the ball, you've got to want to catch the ball." ~ John Cassavetes
"Whatever God has blessed you with, take it with great hands." ~  Horace

I have over the past year chronicled over 200 quotations in my little 8-1/4" x 5" booklets in which I write my first drafts. These quotations have been bestowed upon me in readings, conversations and too many hours spent in front of my wide screen television screen. I am awaiting a long, rainy weekend during which I may be able to digitize, sort and categorize these timeless bits of wisdom, soul searching and humor for ease of access.

Sometimes when I discover a quotation I will use it as inspiration for my writing or just as often, my eyes and mind will wander to the quotes transcribed on the inside and outside back covers of my booklets and just the right quote will appear as if highlighted for the immediate purpose, as if gently beckoning, suggesting, or in some cases, jumping up and down screaming, "Pick me, pick me!"

Most often I find my inspiration is provided if not immediately, eventually, in time. I find the right passage as I always seem to find the right words, when I am meant to receive it.

In her book The Artist's Way and in subsequent articles and interviews, author Julia Cameron describes something she calls "synchronicity." More powerful a force than fate or coincidence, synchronicity is the inevitable positive intervention of the Universe poised to help us along whatever journey for good we embark upon. All we have to do is to show up, believe and accept the nudge, the gentle suggestions, the directional beacons guiding us toward our next best possibilities.

In a July 2012 posting Cameron wrote:
"Learn to accept the possibility that the universe is helping you with what you are doing. Be willing to see the hand of God and accept it as a friend's offer to help."
Imagine my surprise, my stunned awareness, as I realized what was in front of me was meant to be, the three quotations above written one after another in a tablet filled almost a year prior.

Like so much of what we experience as parents of children who have spiraled into addiction, a message was here for the taking, beckoning, a chorus of "pick me!" ringing in my ears.

Sometimes it is so obvious, the messages and signs along the road that we don't often perceive as important. We chalk these up to coincidence, to chance juxtapositions we may even find humorous. We'll often bypass the opportunity of the Great Creator, the gift of the Universe, not because we're not yearning for it, but because we may just not be ready to receive it.
"Taking a new step, uttering a new word, is what people fear most." 
"In order to catch the ball, you've got to want to catch the ball." 
"Whatever God has blessed you with, take it with great hands." 
These quotations. laid out one after the other were a reminder of what I personally needed that day as I sat down to fill the next few blank pages of my booklet.

Admitting to the fear of the unknown and taking that "new step" allows us to perhaps be humble enough to change, and allow a partner more powerful along for the ride of our lives. With this knowledge, we allow that as fragile human beings who have been through too much already what we are contemplating is a little crazy. We acknowledge and OWN the fear.

So we have owned the fear but are not sure why. We simply know we're no longer beaten by our old foe and can proceed with a determination to push forward. Cassavetes' quote rings true.

When I coached baseball I would tell my fielders to quietly whisper to themselves these words before every pitch:
"Hit the ball to me."
Whether they believed or not, I explained that the mind and body work together. Heady stuff for middle schoolers but the kids who bought into the crazy concept of "wanting" the ball began to field like major leaguers.

We have to want it, the change, the possibilities. We have to want to see that ball and guide it effortlessly into our gloves.

Admitting to the fear and wanting the change are often not enough. When we can look lovingly upon ourselves and realize we have inside of us the strengths and qualities to move along with our lives, to love our children while abandoning the addiction, only then can we really take that first step.

What may seem like accidental is most often nothing short of a miracle - and the miracles are happening every day, all around us.

Dig deep. We have within us gifts from the Universe, a Power to utilize to begin our journey and a Partner to accompany us. The pathway, possibly laid out months, years, decades ago, will appear if we are open to the possibilities. Take it with great, and grateful, hands.

. . .  keep coming back
"Nothing has a stronger influence psychologically on their environment and especially their children than the unlived life of the parent." ~ C.G. Jung

No comments:

Post a Comment