Friday, January 17, 2014

Bright Sunshiny Day

I enjoy writing at Starbucks, The Mud House and Kaldi's Coffeehouse here in St. Louis. These cafes as with many coffeehouses across the country, have become modern town squares, marketplaces where people visit in planned and unplanned liaisons for business and pleasure. It has become a place where humans can converge for minutes or hours in a cacophony of souls where economic standing doesn't matter - if you don't mind paying $4.50 for a latte.

I don't, pay $4.50 that is. I'm a give me a coffee and keep it coming guy!

This morning before I go into work I have a lot on my mind with the ebbs and flows of life, work, and kids mostly, ebbing. This happens too often to me as a parent of an addicted child. As I begin writing my daily gratitudes the song "I Can See Clearly Now" written and first performed by Johnny Nash comes over the cafe speakers. As I listen, the words to the song become part of my gratitudes, this new version, true to its roots, sung by Canadian jazz singer Holly Cole helps with my ebbs. 

My outlook brightens, my breathing, more measured. I take the time to let the lyric sink in. If this sounds too "New Age" for you (guys!) too bad. A little bit of OM - look it up - can go a long way when you're ebbing. So I Googled the lyric and began writing it down:

I can see clearly now the rain is gone  
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright sunshiny day

I think I can make it now, the pain is gone
All of the bad feelings have disappeared
Here is that rainbow I've been prayin' for
It's gonna be a bright sunshiny day

Look all around, there's nothing but blue skies
Look straight ahead, there's nothing but blue skies

I can see clearly now the rain is gone  
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright sunshiny day
It's gonna be a bright sunshiny day
BRI Ri Ri RIGHT
Bright, bright, bright, bright sunshiny day

Oh Yeah!

It's gonna be a bright sunshiny day

Give fifteen minutes as a gift to yourself and write these lyrics down somewhere that is easily accessible, in a journal, notebook, digital or analog. Remember to breathe while you do. You'll find it is good juju for the ebbs in life. 

Oh Yeah!

… keep coming back




No comments:

Post a Comment